Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blueberry Vacation log


We got back from a vaction in June, and I thought it would be fun to share some of the letterboxing fun we had along the way. (It's not Mid-missouri, but hope you enjoy anyway.) We made it from KC to the tip of Wisconsin and back with no major disasters, unless you count getting drenched a few times.

On our first day we stopped in Britt, IA and visted the National Hobo Memorial. We wanted to go to the Hobo Museum but it was closed. On the way out we stashed one of our Hobo Signs boxes. This one was Nice Place to Catch a Train.

Next it was the land of 10,000 lakes, so of course we visited the natural beauty of the Mall of America. We did take the light rail to find some cool urban boxes in a total downpour while finding the Minnesota History boxes. We later placed the Hobo Signs:Telephone box in Duluth.

We also had a chance to bop over to River Falls, WI and place a box in honor of Chief's Training Camp.

We then headed North for camping in Wisconsin, and the weather was just beautiful for it. The letterboxing highlight of the trip was finding the Washburn Fire Tower box in Washburn, WI. While we were finding the box, we came across an entire hillside of
wild blueberries (see the picture). Until then our trail name had been a theory - but that day we earned it!

By the time we made it back we had placed boxes in four new states (counting a quick jaunt into Michigan for the Season for Everything box.

1 comment:

Fox-fyr said...

I'm glad you decided to share you vacation with us. It sounds like you had a grand adventure.

I'm always curious to see how boxes in other states compare to those in mid-Misouri. When I did a letterboxing tour in Milwaukee this past February, I had only a few hours between events (I was attending an Irish dance weekend) to search for boxes. I was generally impressed by the quality of the clues. Many of them are quite creative, and some of them too tough for me to solve in the limited amount of time I had.
Of the seven boxes i hit up there, all had hand-carved stamps, and most had nicely made homemade logbooks. I even got to meet two Wisconsin letterboxers and exchange personal stamps since I contacted a few letterboxers in the area and let them know when I'd be there.

I'm hoping that since Mid-Missouri is reaching an impresive number of boxes that our little neck of the woods will be someone else's vacation spot.--Fox-Fyr