Sunday, September 16, 2007

Letterboxing 101

On Saturday, October 20 from 9 a.m. to noon, I am teaching a Letterboxing 101 class to up to 25 Cadette/Senior Girl Scouts (teenagers) as part of a program they requested of Rock Bridge Memorial State Park Staff. While I don't go out of my way to advertise or promote such programs, Ichose to do this one because they came to me rather than me going to them.

I am looking for assistance with two aspects of the program:

One, I would like to borrow carving tools for that day (they will be returned to you). Since letterboxing is first and foremost an art, the girls will be carving simple home-made stamps as part of the program.

Two, pending approval from the Girl Scout leaders, I need several volunteers willing to go with a small group of girls when we split up to do hunting, so that they have an experienced letterboxer with them. If you are not already a park volunteer, you wouldneed to fill out some paperwork in order to volunteer.

Our general agenda for the day is to introduce letterboxing and explain whatit is, why people do it and how it has evolved. We will go over etiquette include the art of stealth and discretion, proper re-hiedeation, how to sign a logbook and contact the placer, what hitchhikers are and whatto do with them, how to solve clues and how to use a compass. We will then split into five or so groups and look for temporary boxes planted in Rock Bridge State Park. Our goal is to fulfill come of the requirements on the High-Tech Hide-and-Seek Special Interest Badge. If interested in loaning tools or helping with the event, please contact me at difoxfire (at) hotmail (dot) com. I will be doingthis program again in March for upper elementary aged Girl Scouts.

1 comment:

Monkey Mom said...

I have to work that day til 2pm. Then the Halloween gathering at our place. You are free to borrow any tools you need from us. Would you also need some logbooks for your event? Let me know!